Does Acupuncture Hurt?
- Acupuncture needles are tiny - one may feel a slight pinch when the needle goes in, sometimes followed by a tingling sensation or a dull ache, which then subsides. People are usually pleasantly surprised at how minimal the sensation is from an acupuncture needle, and most people find acupuncture deeply relaxing.
- This can vary quite a bit from person to person and the condition being treated, but more often than not, you will need a of course of treatments for best results. Initially, weekly treatments are advised, and patients usually experience improvement within a few treatments. As the condition improves, treatments will then be needed less and less often. Generally speaking, however, the longer and more chronic a problem is the more treatments it will take to cure the ailment. For an acute pain problem you might experience relief immediately or the next day, and then within a few treatments the pain is completely managed. For a chronic problem, you might get treatments weekly over a longer period.
- Based on your confidential health history and current symptoms, I will make a Chinese medical diagnosis of your health complaint. I use this information to choose what acupuncture points I will use. We will usually talk for a couple of minutes so you can fill me in on any updates, and then you will get on the table for your acupuncture. I then let you relax with the needles in. It's best to eat a small snack before your treatment, as getting acupuncture on an empty stomach is not advised.
- Mostly below the elbows and below the knees, on the belly or back (depending on your symptoms), and a few relaxation points on the head.
- By receiving acupuncture - even if there is nothing specifically wrong - you are supporting your health long term by boosting your immune system to prevent sickness in the future. The treatments will also leave you feeling more relaxed with an increased sense of well being. It helps ensure all organs and systems in your body are functioning optimally and your body is continuously in a healthy, balanced state